Friday, April 8, 2011

When It Rains You Run?

           So I’ve had a strange day today concerning the weather.  The entire time I’ve been here it hasn’t rained when I’ve been outside.  It doesn’t bother me just change shoes and you’re good to go.  But today I realized that I was not prepared for rain in Korea. 
            I went to a little café near me called Café Florida.  I got my espresso and made my leave when the owner followed me out the door and gave me her umbrella!  I smiled, said thank you and kept walking.  She continued to follow me, speaking very quickly and loudly, neither of which she’s ever done before, and pointing up at the sky.  I realized that she was giving me her umbrella to protect me against the rain but why?
            Getting back to my apartment I went and Googled South Korea and rain.  What came up was a bunch of reports about radioactive particles from the Fushkima nuclear power plant partial meltdown being in the rain.  Well several sources from Korean and American reports stated that while there are radioactive particles in the rain, they are far below minimal exposure levels. Even still I have yet to see a person walking around without an umbrella.  Plus, there are a couple of kids missing from my classes which shows how serious some of the parents are taking this.
            I thought some more about it and decided two things.  First, I'm probably at the same amount of risk for exposure here to the rain, as I was drinking the tap water in Oak Ridge.  Second, I wanted to know if the same particles have been detected in the US.  I found out that they have and you can visit the EPA’s website to see how your state is doing.  And just in case you’re wondering Tennessee is at about the same levels as South Korea.
            However, while I was finding this information I also came across a lot of articles about China and how its pollution causes yellow dust to be swept across the Korean peninsula and beyond.  Now this is something I’ve heard from people but wasn’t expecting it to be that serious.  Well it is and evidently you do have to wear a face mask just to walk around.  I guess I’ll deal with it when it gets here.
            Even though it’s ok to get wet today I’m gonna have to get an umbrella of my own or I’ll never be able to get my favorite espresso again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are well!!

Love,

Mom

whats1t2yabud? said...

One thing to know is that Koreans seem to have a pathological reaction to rain. I dont know why. Its almost as if they fear melting. The most hilarious reaction to me was at the Boreyeong Mud Festival last year. People are playing in & being covered in this mud & having a great time. It started to rain & the Koreans went running to hide under anything they could. Us waygooks had to laugh. Welcome to Korea. Its a total adventure. Im on the way out next month. I liked your post on Bin Laden. We are military so I appreciated it. Take care