Friday, June 3, 2011

A Fresh Start

            So I know that I haven’t written in the past two weeks and the reason is I went through a bit of a rough patch.  I had the realization that I’m not going home for the next year, I am truly on my own in a completely foreign country and I was desperately trying to hold on to the notion that “they” should have to adjust to me, not the other way around.  “They” includes Koreans, my fellow teachers and the foreigners I’ve met.  Sounds pretty ridiculous I know but I was struggling with adjusting to living here. 
            Because I was feeling so frustrated I emailed some friends and family asking for advice on what to do and how to be a better teacher.  The advice I got back was fantastic as both of my parents, who teach at the college level, suggested that I relax and talk with my fellow coworkers.  Great advice but it was my girlfriend who broke my glass ceiling by saying that I’m not a full time teacher like I would be in the states but my role here is that I’m a glorified camp counselor.  Not that the students should be treated like I was in a summer camp but that I need to have that type of attitude to adapt and do a good job teaching.
            Well that was just what I needed to hear for it completely put things in perspective and that I what I thought would happen here isn’t going to and that I need to just enjoy the experience of being here.  So last Friday I decided to buzz all my hair off to acknowledge this new attitude with the reasons being threefold.  First, it’s really hot here and I was tired of sweating on the way to work.  Second, the Korean hairdressers have no idea how to deal with all my waves and curls.  Lastly, I wanted a fresh start.  A way to admit I don’t have the answers but that I need to grow into my job, work with people different from me and accept Korea for Korea.
            And how’s it going now you ask?  Well I’m loving it!  I went and bought a guitar to give me something to do in my apartment, I feel so cool despite it being 90 degrees and work is great! More to come so stay tuned!

New Haircut!

1 comment:

Lori said...

Its nice to hear these things from you Logan. You put yourself aside and let them in. A very nice beginning to a beautiful relationship with Korea.