Sunday, July 31, 2011

Annoying K-Pop

      I'm sure that from the title you might be thinking that I'm talking about Korean cereal but I'm definitely not.  I'm talking about the pop music here known as K-Pop.  K-Pop is very popular and they have a couple of TV shows that are similar to American Idol and Star Search but there's one show that is the Korean version of American Bandstand.  Evidently if you're a Korean singer you want to get on that show for your big break. 
     The thing that's funny to me is just how many Korean pop groups, boy-bands, girl-bands and wannabe's there are but a couple of singers have made it big.  One guy called Rain is a combination of Usher and Justin Timberlake.  Another big star is a girl called Hyuna and I think that she's a Korean version of Miley Cyrus.  I hear her damn song "Bubble Pop" everywhere and it has been stuck in my head all week so I'm putting it up so you too can endure the misery of this super-catchy song.  The third video is from a younger girl named IU whose video, "Good Day" has exploded all over the country.
     These videos will give you an idea of what Koreans, especially the younger generation, thinks of as their "ideal" girl or guy.

Bubble Pop, Hyuna:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9CALKOvAI

Rain, Love Song:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx5COTBjcNc

Good Day, IU:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqdYqsrsA0
The parrot at the beginning of the video says, "Oppa" which means "I love you."

2 comments:

Lori said...

I love it. I like the Good Day one- very sweet.

We were thinking of you when all the mudslides were happening. Mom kept asking me if I checked your blog.

Sounds like you are having a blast there and have met all kinds of people. With your personality, I dont think you would ever be lonely for too long.

Logan Monday said...

Thanks Lori! Seoul and the surrounding areas really got hit hard but we didn't have nearly the rain that they did.